A standoff between police and an armed man at a Sacarmento duplex ended late Wednesday afternoon when the man came out of residence and was taken into custody.
Members of SWAT and police negotiators worked throughout the day to bring the incident in the 1700 block of Eldridge Avenue to a peaceful conclusion. The standoff began about 9:45 a.m. when relatives of the man reported that he was armed with a knife, brandishing the weapon and making threats against them, police said.
When officers arrived, they discovered that the family members had left the home. The man was outside the home wielding what was described as a 2- to-3-feet-long sword-like weapon and a 2-feet-long pipe or pole.
Officers spoke to him from a distance.
“Officers tried to calm the man,” said Officer Matt McPhail, Sacramento police spokesman. “He was behaving a bit irrationally and not being completely responsive to requests from officers. We have not been able to determine if he was inebriated or intoxicated – or perhaps he had a mental health issue..”
Officers spoke to the man for several minutes. He would not lay down his weapons but officers did not force the issue.
The man then retreated inside the home. The other side of the duplex was evacuated and the man is believed to be the only person inside either half of the duplex.
“Nobody has been hurt,” McPhail said during the standoff. “Family members have been shaken by the circumstances but they are, thankfully, unharmed. Our effort is focused on getting this man to give himself up peacefully and voluntarily.”s
Police tweeted shortly before 3 p.m. that tear gas had been deployed inside the home. A tweet at 4:34 p.m. announced that the man was in custody.