A cigarette caused a garage fire in a South Sacramento home early Friday morning, the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District reported.
Just after 1 a.m., a garage at a home on Lomond Court, near Vintage Park Drive, caught fire when a cigarette was left unattended.
Chris Vestal, spokesman for Metro Fire, said a woman living in the home was able to escape, but a cat died.
“The fire was contained to the garage, but there was smoke damage beyond,” Vestal said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Jessica Hice: 916-321-1550, @Jess_Hice