A bird on a power line may have caused a grass fire to break out in southeast Sacramento County on Sunday.
Sacramento Metro Fire Department spokesman Capt. Chris Vestal said a blown transformer caused the 4.6-acre fire at the intersection of Florin and Bradshaw roads. He said the department believes a bird on a power line caused the transformer to malfunction. The fire was put out before it reached buildings or people.
Vestal said firefighters raced out to the fire at 10:39 a.m. and contained it by 11:10 a.m.
“It was a mowed grass field,” Vestal said. “It had relatively low grass, which obviously helped in the containment.”
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Fire moves more slowly through cut grass, which is required in vacant lots under weed abatement regulations, Vestal said. It was unclear whether the field had been mowed to manage vegetation or for agricultural purposes, he said.
Officials throughout California have warned that record-setting winter rains led to huge growth spurts in vegetation. The vast greenery will turn yellow in the dry summer heat, becoming a source of fuel for wildfires.