Q: Is Ronald Wayne Beard still in the California Medical Facility, or dead, or transferred? His name is no longer listed as an inmate in that facility.
A: Ronald Wayne Beard was convicted of first-degree murder for the 1990 gunshot slaying of his estranged wife at the Arden Arcade home they once shared.
He was sentenced in 1992 to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
Luis Patino, a spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said in an email that Beard, now 80 years old, was referred to the Board of Parole Hearings, which found him suitable for parole on Sept. 21, 2017 under the Elderly Parole process. He was released Feb. 13 and is currently under parole supervision.
As a result of the state’s prison overcrowding, a federal court in February 2014, ordered the state to implement a parole process for inmates who are age 60 or older and who have been incarcerated for at least 25 years, according to the department’s website. Inmates sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, or who are sentenced to death are not eligible for the program.
Beard was credited with 871 days for time served in jail while awaiting adjudication of his case, Patino said. He also received “goodtime” credits while in prison.
Beard shot his estranged wife, Beverly Beard, a travel consultant, during a confrontation at the family home on Ellington Circle, according to stories in The Sacramento Bee. Beverly Beard had moved out of the home and filed for divorce shortly before she was killed.
Ronald Beard testified that he became enraged after his wife compared him unfavorably to a man with whom she had been having an affair.
The prosecutor said during the trial that Beard had basically “executed” his wife with one shot to the head after deciding “that if he couldn’t have her, no one would.”
The couple had been married 32 years.