Jackson Fire Department engineer Bobby Land has put out plenty of embers in his time as a volunteer firefighter.
A blaze Wednesday night was different -- it was his house.
Land's home caught fire just before 11 p.m. Wednesday night while he was working as a security guard at Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort, according to a GoFundMe page established after the incident. After making sure his wife Chelsea and two children were safe, Land put on his fire-retardant suit and began battling the blaze. In the end, most of his home's interior was destroyed.
Land was once named the department's EMT of the Year and Firefighter of the Year. Fire captain Cody Martinsen spoke glowingly of him on the GoFundMe page, which had raised nearly $1,000 as of Friday morning.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
"Bobby is one of the most dedicated and passionate firefighters on the Jackson Fire Department. He is willing to respond at any hour, day or night to help protect his community," Martinsen wrote. "Sometimes even our own first responders need a little help as well."
The government seat of Amador County, Jackson has just 5,000 residents and relies on volunteers such as Land to fill all but five roles within its fire department. The Jackson Fire Department gets about 900 calls for help per year, according to its Facebook page.
Clothing and toy donations for Land's two children, five-year-old Kaylena and three-year-old Nathan, are also being accepted at Jackson Fire Station 132 (10600 Argonaut Dr.). Kaylena wears children's size 11 shoes and x-small or 5-6 pants and shirts, while Nathan wears children's size 9-10 shoes, pants size 3T and shirts size 2T.
Benjy Egel: (916) 321-1052, @BenjyEgel