Fire that apparently started from improperly disposed of ashes heavily damaged a Carmichael garage.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews responded to fire call at a house in the 3100 block of Edgehill Lane about 12:40 a.m. Monday to find a garage in flames. The couple who lived at the home woke up to find smoke entering the home.
They safely got out of the house. Crews were able to contain the fire to garage and several rooms.
A Metro Fire press release said that still-hot ashes from a wood burning stove had been placed in a trash can too near the home. During the night the fire began.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Firefighters remind residents to place fireplace or wood-burning stove ashes in a metal can with a lid to give embers a chance to die out before dumping them in a garbage can.