Crime - Sacto 911

Extension cords blamed for Antelope house fire

Fire officials say a fire that started in the bedroom of an Antelope home this afternoon was likely caused by extension cords.

Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews responded just after 4 p.m. to the 8100 block of Gloriann Way regarding a report of smoke coming from a roof. The first units arrived to find light smoke coming from the residence. When they forced their way inside, they found a well-involved fire in the master bedroom, according to a department news release.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the bedroom, and protect the rest of the home and it contents from fire and water damage. Fire officials estimated the loss due to the fire at $20,000, but reported that approximately $330,000 in personal property, including the resident’s lifelong collection of comic books, was saved.

No injuries were reported. Two pet cats were inside the home and ran to safety when fire crews opened a door.

Fire officials said the cause of the fire was determined to be electrical in nature, starting under the bed with extension cords. They remind people to use properly rated extension cords, to plug high-energy equipment directly into a wall outlet and to have working smoke alarms near every room where sleeping occurs.

  Comments