Crime - Sacto 911

Driver jailed after high-speed pursuit from Sacramento to Richmond

A Sacramento man is in jail in Contra Costa County after leading law enforcement officers on a high-speed chase that began near the state Capitol and ended when his vehicle crashed in Richmond.

Officer Daniel Hill, spokesman for the California Highway Patrol’s Golden Gate Division, said the incident began about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday when CHP officers saw a black Ford Crown Victoria that failed to stop for a red light and was traveling at an excessive speed near the state Capitol. The officers attempted a traffic stop, but the driver of the Ford failed to yield and entered westbound Interstate 80.

A chase ensued along I-80, traveling through Yolo County and into Solano County. As the pursuit approached a construction zone in the Vacaville area, CHP officers assisting the California Department of Transportation cleared workers from the roadway. Hill said the pursuit was canceled in that area for the protection of officers and the public.

The suspect vehicle was spotted again in the Fairfield area, where the CHP picked up the pursuit. When the chase reached the Vallejo area, the Vallejo Police Department deployed spike strips, which flattened some of the tires on the suspect’s vehicle, but he continued speeding westbound, driving on rims, Hill said.

He said the chase was again discontinued due to safety concerns.

The Ford exited Interstate 80 at Carlson Boulevard in Richmond, but the driver failed to negotiate the offramp and crashed into a signal pole at the bottom of the offramp.

Hill said CHP officers were in the area and saw the crash. They apprehended the driver as he attempted to run from the scene.

Hill said the driver was identified as 28-year-old Kyle A. Buege of Sacramento.

Buege was taken to Contra Costa Regional Medical Center in Martinez to make sure he was not injured in the crash, Hill said. Buege was subsequently booked into the Martinez Detention Facility on suspicion of felony evading an officer, resisting arrest, driving under the influence and hit and run.

Hill said the chase ended at 1:04 a.m. The Ford reportedly reached speeds up to 120 mph during the pursuit. Hill said traffic was light along the route and no one was injured.