A convenience store on Freeport Boulevard near William Land Park can no longer carry alcohol after the owner was charged with selling to underage customers.
The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control placed Come-N-Go Food Store on an indefinite suspension Tuesday for selling alcohol to minors last month, according to a news release.
The owner, Daniel Tung Sun, was not available for comment, and an employee of the store declined to provide his personal phone number.
On June 12, at 6:50 p.m., Alcoholic Beverage Control agents issued a misdemeanor citation to Sun for selling alcohol to two 17-year-olds.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Later that night, agents arrested Sun for selling alcohol to a 16-year-old.
In both cases, Sun did not ask for ID, according to the news release.
Sun was booked at the Sacramento County jail and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and selling alcoholic beverages to a minor, according to the release.
The minors were also issued misdemeanor citations for buying the alcohol.
Two days later, agents issued another misdemeanor citation to the owner for selling alcohol to a 19-year-old. No ID was shown during the purchase and a misdemeanor charge was again issued to the 19-year-old.
Matthew Seck, a supervising agent for the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, said the agents wear plain clothes and patrol neighborhoods similar to the way police officers do.
“(The minors) were not decoys,” Seck said. “These were actually just teenagers buying alcohol and were witnessed by our agent.”
The Alcoholic Beverage Control issues about 3,000 accusations statewide every year, Seck said, but the number for selling alcohol to minors was not immediately available.
The store has a record with Alcoholic Beverage Control that includes several accusations of selling to minors, dating back to 1983. The most recent accusation was filed in 2011.
Sun will have six months to transfer his license to a new owner or the license can be revoked. He signed a prehearing settlement offer that removed his right to appeal and accepted the penalties, Seck said.