Fire officials say a fire started in a burn barrel spread to an Arden Arcade home, causing significant damage Tuesday morning.
Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District crews responded shortly after 8 a.m. to the 4100 block of Hancock Drive regarding a report of a fence and garage fire. The fire, which started in a burn barrel alongside the home, quickly spread from the fence to the garage and attic, according to a fire district news release. A neighbor noticed the fire, alerted the resident and used a garden hose in an attempt to slow the spread, officials said.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to approximately 30 percent of the home. Damage was estimated to be $150,000, fire officials said. No one was injured in the fire.
Fire officials remind residents that burn barrels are considered open burning and are not allowed in Sacramento County.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.