Crime

Sheriff: Teen in Sacramento juvenile hall showed assault rifle in video call threat

Generic illustration showing handcuffs and a fingerprint index

A 17-year-old is in juvenile custody after allegedly threatening another teen on video while showing an unregistered assault rifle, the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office said.

Sheriff’s officials said the teen made the threats Wednesday while showing an AR-15-style rifle on camera.

“The victim believed the threats were credible and contacted law enforcement,” sheriff’s officials said in a statement.

Deputies went to the teen’s home, where they found the weapon under a bed with a loaded magazine nearby, officials said. The teen was taken into custody and booked into the Sacramento County Juvenile Center.

The investigation was ongoing. Anyone with information was asked to call the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office at 916-874-5115.

Darrell Smith
The Sacramento Bee
Darrell Smith is a local reporter for The Sacramento Bee. He joined The Bee in 2006 and previously worked at newspapers in Palm Springs, Colorado Springs and Marysville. Smith was born and raised at Beale Air Force Base and lives in Elk Grove.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW