A man accused of trying to carjack a vehicle three days after he was released from prison has been convicted by a Sacramento County jury.
Robert Steward, 37, was found guilty of attempted carjacking, according to a Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office news release.
Steward traveled to Sacramento April 17, three days after he was released from a Bakersfield prison. He went to his mother’s residence but found she had moved, according to the release. Steward then walked down the street and approached a parked car in which a woman and her 13-year-old son were sitting with the driver’s window lowered.
Steward punched the woman in the face, forced her from the car and threw her onto the street, authorities said. When he got into the woman’s car, he discovered that the keys were not in the ignition. One of the woman’s family members rushed outside and fought Steward off until he left the scene.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
During the struggle, Steward dropped some paperwork he had been carrying, which contained his name. The victim’s son later identified Steward as the perpetrator, authorities said.
This was Steward’s second-strike conviction under California’s three-strikes law. His criminal history, according to the DA’s Office, includes assault with a deadly weapon and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Steward is to be sentenced Sept. 18 before Sacramento Superior Court Judge David Abbott.