A dog is credited with saving the life of a south Sacramento man Thursday night after it alerted him to a fire in a home that apparently had no working smoke detector.
Sacramento Fire Department spokesman Roberto Padilla said fire crews were called to a home in the 4400 block of 40th Avenue about 6:30 p.m.
Padilla said the resident told firefighters he was awakened by Buddy, his chocolate Labrador, nudging him. The man discovered a fire burning in a bedroom at the rear of the house. Padilla said the man suffered some smoke inhalation and had soot on his face. He was treated but declined to be taken to a hospital.
Padilla said the man did not recall hearing a smoke alarm, and firefighters had found no evidence of a working smoke detector in the house. He said the home suffered significant damage.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Padilla noted that this fire occurred just a week after two people died in a fire in a south Sacramento-area home that did not have a working smoke alarm.
First Alert has donated 100 smoke alarms to the Sacramento Fire Department. Padilla said they will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. Anyone who does not have a working smoke alarm can walk up to any fire truck in the city and request one.
Call The Bee’s Cathy Locke, (916) 321-5287.