An 11-year-old boy suffered major injuries after illegal fireworks went off in his hand in a vehicle Wednesday afternoon.
The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District said crews responded to call of a “man on fire” in a Carmichael parking lot at 2 p.m. They arrived to find the boy lying on the ground with significant injuries.
Officials said it appears the boy was holding a mortar-type firework, which are illegal, inside of a vehicle. The force of the explosion amputated parts of his hand and he suffered burns to multiple areas of his body, according to a release from the fire department.
Last year, Metro Fire responded to four fireworks-related injuries. Two suffered partial hand dismemberments, one received a flash burn to the face and one firefighter was injured while fighting a fire caused by illegal fireworks.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Metro Fire released several tips to reduce the number of fires and injuries caused by fireworks:
- Do not use, purchase or sell any illegal fireworks
- Never attempt to modify fireworks
- Do not allow children to light fireworks. It is illegal for anyone under 18 to use them
- Avoid lighting near dry grass, under a tree, under a canopy or covered balcony, or near any flammable materials
- Dispose of used fireworks in a bucket of water
- Have a garden hose ready, in case of fire