The teen accused in the death of Jaulon “J.J” Clavo pleaded not guilty Friday to murder charges in connection with the Grant High football player’s shooting last year.
The preliminary hearing for Keymontae Lindsey, 16, was set Oct. 14 during Lindsey’s brief appearance in Sacramento County Superior Court.
“It’s all a waiting game,” said Lindsey’s mother, Ranika Moore, of the hearing date. At his February arraignment, Moore said “I stand by his innocence 1,000 percent.”
Nicole Clavo, J.J. Clavo’s mother, did not attend the hearing.
Lindsey was charged as an adult and faces charges including murder, shooting into an occupied vehicle and a gang enhancement in the Nov. 13 incident.
he is accused of walking up to Clavo’s vehicle at Silver Eagle Road and Mabel Street and shooting the 17-year-old in the neck. Another teen in the car, Malik Johnson, was shot in the arm. The pair and two other teammates were returning to the Grant High after getting food before a playoff game. The shooter fled. Clavo died of his injuries at UC Davis Medical Center.
A day after the shooting, police arrested Lindsey at a traffic stop on an weapons charge, unrelated to the murder. The 9-mm handgun in Lindsey’s possession was found to be the gun used to kill Clavo.
Prosecutors said previously that Lindsey was “affiliated with or committed the shooting in service to” the Strawberry Manor Bloods street gang. Police said Clavo did not know Lindsey.
When asked about the traffic stop allegations in February, Moore said that her son neither owns nor drives a car.
The North Sacramento community held a vigil after the shooting and eventually raised a $40,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the case.