Crime - Sacto 911

Man who choked woman headed to prison

A man who was choking a woman when sheriff’s deputies interrupted has been sentenced to more than 14 years in prison.

A jury in April convicted 45-year-old Gregory Ortiz of elder abuse, making terrorist threats and resisting arrest. Jurors also found that Ortiz had a prior strike conviction under California’s “three strikes” law and had previously served time in prison, according to a Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office news release.

Ortiz was sentenced Friday by Sacramento Superior Court Judge Eugene Balonon to 14 years and 4 months in prison.

On June 25, 2015, the victim let Ortiz into her home although several restraining orders had been issued against him, authorities said. Ortiz started drinking and became violent with the victim, choking her several times. He threatened to kill her if she called police. He also choked the victim’s dog and threatened to kill the dog if the victim went to police.

The following morning, Ortiz started yelling at the victim. The woman called her sister, who called 911.

When the victim told Ortiz that she had called police, he began choking her again until law enforcement officers arrived and announced they would break down the door. Ortiz then released the woman and tried to escape. After a struggle with sheriff’s deputies, Ortiz was taken into custody, authorities said.

Ortiz’s criminal history dates back 24 years and includes a 1992 strike conviction for battery causing serious bodily injury, a 2013 conviction for felony assault likely to cause great bodily injury and 14 misdemeanor convictions, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

Cathy Locke: 916-321-5287, @lockecathy

  Comments