Education

Williamson Elementary students evacuated in Rancho Cordova

A power outage and gas leak caused the evacuation Friday of Williamson Elementary School in Rancho Cordova.

The outage was caused by a squirrel who came in fatal contact with fuses on a power pole, according to officials at the Sacramento Municipal Utility District.

The cause of the leaking gas pipe outside the school is under debate.

Pacific Gas & Electric spokeswoman Brandi Ehlers said “ground movement” during the power outage shook the riser to the meter, cracking the pipe.

Not so, said SMUD spokesman Chris Capra. If there was a gas leak, the popped fuses didn’t cause it. ‘“There was no explosion, no concussive effect,” he said.

Whatever the case, power and gas are expected to be restored when school resumes Monday. SMUD workers finished their work Friday afternoon and PG&E workers were expected to complete work on the pipe sometime Friday evening.

The school canceled classes Friday and shuttled students to nearby Grace Lutheran Church, said Daniel Thigpen, Folsom Cordova Unified spokesman.

Call The Bee’s Diana Lambert, (916) 321-1090. Follow her on Twitter @dianalambert.

  Comments