Prepare for pink ribbons.
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month starts Saturday, and clinics around Sacramento will be offering free breast cancer screenings to promote early detection of the disease.
A mammography screening can help reduce the likelihood of death from breast cancer among women ages 40 to 74, especially for those older than 50, according to the National Cancer Institute.
“Early detection can lead to a longer, healthier life,” said Pamela Addy, director of imaging services for Sutter Medical Foundation, in a news release. “Unfortunately, some women view mammograms as ‘optional,’ especially those without insurance or who have high co-payments. We want to help create better access for them and put them on a path toward wellness.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Financial barriers can prevent women from getting screened. In 2013, only 38 percent of uninsured women had had a mammogram in the past two years, compared with 70 percent of insured women, according to Susan G. Komen, a major breast cancer foundation dedicated to research and education.
Sutter Imaging will offer free mammogram sessions at different locations. An appointment is required, and space is limited. To sign up, contact the Sutter Imaging location you want to attend directly at the number provided.
▪ Oct. 1: Sutter Imaging Elk Grove, 8170 Laguna Blvd., Suite 112, Elk Grove, 916-691-5922.
▪ Oct. 8: Sutter Imaging Roseville, 2 Medical Plaza, Suite 105, Roseville, 916-865-1432.
▪ Oct. 8: Sutter Imaging Fairfield, 2700 Low Court, Fairfield, 707-432-2500.
▪ Oct. 8: Sutter Imaging Amador, 100 Mission Blvd., Jackson, 209-223-7560.
▪ Oct. 15: Sutter Imaging Sacramento, 3161 L St., Sacramento, 916-262-9534.
▪ Oct. 15: Sutter Imaging Davis, 2020 Sutter Place, Suite 102, Davis, 530-747-5030.
▪ Oct. 22: Sutter Auburn Faith Hospital, 11815 Education St., Auburn, 530-886-6562.
River City Phoenix, a medical cannabis dispensary at 1508 El Camino Ave. in Sacramento, will also host the Alinea mobile bus offering free breast cancer screenings in its parking lot on Oct. 4 and Oct. 18. Priority will be given to users of the dispensary. Call 916-925-5696 for more information.