The Latest on criminal charges against a Salvadoran immigrant in the U.S. illegally who is accused of killing four people in Nevada (all times local):
Prosecutors in Nevada say they'll seek the death penalty for a Salvadoran immigrant in the U.S. illegally who is charged with killing four people in January.
Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said Thursday that Wilber Ernesto Martinez-Guzman's immigration status has nothing to do with the decision to seek capital punishment.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
The 20-year-old Martinez-Guzman is accused of fatally shooting a Reno couple and two women in neighboring Douglas County during a 10-day crime rampage.
The case has drawn the attention of President Donald Trump, who says it shows the need for his proposed border wall.
A grand jury in Reno indicted Martinez-Guzman on Wednesday on murder, burglary and weapon charges. He was previously charged in criminal complaints
A grand jury has indicted a Salvadoran immigrant on murder charges in the killing of four northern Nevadans in January.
The Washoe County grand jury handed up the indictment in Reno late Wednesday for 20-year-old Wilber Ernesto Martinez-Guzman.
He's accused of fatally shooting an elderly Reno couple and two women in neighboring Douglas County during a week-long robbery spree in January.
The district attorneys for Washoe and Douglas counties scheduled a news conference for 11 a.m. Thursday to provide an update on the case, including their decision on whether to seek the death penalty.
The case has drawn the attention of President Donald Trump, who says it shows the need for his proposed U.S.-Mexico border wall.
Federal officials say Martinez-Guzman is in the United States illegally but they don't know how or when he got here.