Here's the timing of the next round of snow in the Sierra (February 21, 2018)
Lower foothill residents beware: You may wake Thursday to find snow at your doorstep.
The National Weather Service forecasts that snow may land and stick in Auburn, Placerville, with a possible overnight dusting as low as El Dorado Hills.
Several weather systems will keep temperatures below normal in the Sacramento Valley for the next week and bring snow to the Sierra, according to weather service forecasts.
A winter weather advisory has been issued for the greater Lake Tahoe area from 10 p.m. Wednesday to 10 p.m. Thursday, when the heaviest snow is predicted to fall, the weather service reports. Total snow accumulations of between 6 to 10 inches are forecast above 7,000 feet during that time.
Caltrans is warning hill and mountain travelers to be prepared for bouts of intense winter weather, making roads slick.
"Intermittent periods of rapid snow accumulations on Donner and Echo Summit passes are expected with this storm, impacting travel on foothill and mountain highways, including Interstate 80 and U.S. Highway 50 where chain controls are expected," Caltrans said Wednesday. "Additionally, the severe cold will create very slick and icy conditions on all Northern California roadways."
With the storms, periods of rapid snow accumulations are expected on Donner and Echo Summit passes. The snowfall will affect travel on foothill and mountain highways, including Interstate 80 and Highway 50 where chain controls are expected, Caltrans warns.
Low temperatures will stay in 30s for the Sacramento area through the week, with a chance of showers late Thursday afternoon through Thursday night.
Here's the seven-day weather forecast, as provided by the weather service:
- Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 36. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph after midnight.
- Thursday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 4 p.m. Mostly sunny, with a high near 53. Light south southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Thursday night: A 40 percent chance of showers before 10 p.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 33. North wind 3 to 5 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Friday: Sunny, with a high near 55. North northwest wind 8 to 10 mph.
- Friday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33.
- Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.
- Saturday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 37.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 60.
- Sunday night: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 38.
- Monday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 57.
- Monday night: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38.
- Tuesday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 55.