Letters to the Editor

Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, vaccines, flossing

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, left, and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump in these 2016 file photos. Clinton and Trump offer voters distinct choices this fall on issues that shape everyday lives.
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, left, and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump in these 2016 file photos. Clinton and Trump offer voters distinct choices this fall on issues that shape everyday lives. The Associated Press

Clinton could get the job done

Re “In defense of knowing how to do job,” (Shawn Hubler, Aug. 4): If Shawn Hubler’s column were provided to every registered voter, the only votes for Donald Trump would come from people who refused to read it, or couldn’t read.

As Hubler explains with telling examples, competence is the difference between talk and action. Trump is a confidence trickster running a fraudulent gambling attraction at the circus. Hillary Clinton is a grind. She works hard for the people and gets things done. She has sensible ideas and spells them out. Let’s choose the grind over the grifter.

David S. Parker, Elk Grove

Trump is being treated unfairly

It’s apparent that most media coverage downplays Donald Trump at every turn while promoting Hillary Clinton’s vague responses, ignoring her continuing denials of her misdeeds, her lack of press conferences and having no record of success.

The middle class questions this obvious favoritism. Who’s behind it? Why is she getting away with it, and who’s got integrity enough to stand up and charge her? No more cover-up and voter frauds. We’ve been disenfranchised.

Gina Gregory, Elk Grove

Vaccinate all healthy kids

Re “Crazy campaign talk on vaccines” (Editorials, Aug. 3): Thanks for standing with science. Vaccines are not dangerous, but not vaccinating our children is. So many children have died needlessly and others’ health has been endangered when parents held fast to the long-disproven notion that vaccines kill or cause autism. The Centers for Disease Control estimated in 2014 that the vaccination of children in the U.S. between 1994 and 2013 will prevent 732,000 early deaths.

As family physicians, we supported the bill that eliminated “personal belief” as a reason to send children to school without being vaccinated. Now, only medical exemptions qualify. All healthy children must be vaccinated in order to protect the lives of children too young or too ill to be immunized. That’s what effective care of our children and of our public health looks like.

The science is clear: Vaccinations save lives.

Dr. Lee Ralph, San Francisco

UC Davis is committed to kids

Re “Oak Park free clinic provides vaccinations” (Page 3A, Aug. 5): Sammy Caiola did a great community service in writing about the immunization clinic at WellSpace Oak Park. The clinic was conducted to immunize children who have no insurance or doctor or have been unable to see their physicians for immunizations prior to school starting.

Pediatricians prefer patients receive immunizations from their physicians during well-child exams. Uninsured children were signed up for insurance and physicians were notified of immunizations their patients received. Services were provided by WellSpace staff and UC Davis pediatricians who have collaborated for eight years with a pediatric clinic in Oak Park. Such are examples of UC Davis’ commitment to serving and working to optimize the health for all children in our community.

Dr. Albina Gogo, Sacramento

Flossing study is half-baked

Re “Flossing’s medical benefits unproven” (Insight, Aug. 3): The study questioning the value of flossing followed few patients for a short time, and used intermediate end points. rather than following large numbers of patients until they developed significant pathology. That kind of study is hugely expensive. Who is going to pay for it? How much money is there in dental floss?

No one says that debris, bacteria, bleeding and inflammation are good things or that they wouldn’t be expected to lead to disease and decay if left untreated.

I’m going to keep flossing.

Dr. Louise Mehler, Sacramento

Bacteria lurk in your gums

If people only brush, they remove 15 percent of the bacteria above the gum line. The other 85 percent are under the gum line. Bacteria are smart little buggers. They go where it is dark, moist and well protected.

However, they need 24 to 36 hours undisturbed before they can secrete toxins that irritate and cause infection. Left undisturbed, eventually the bone becomes affected and bone loss is the result. All this can be prevented if one uses dental floss.

Gloria A. Rolak, Elk Grove


Find them at:



Online form (preferred):


Other: Letters, P.O. Box 15779,

Sacramento, CA 95852

150-word limit. Include name, address and phone number. Letters may be edited for clarity, brevity and content.