Crabtree’s return will help Kaepernick most
Reading time, two minutes ...
• Will 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick have a breakout game today against the Rams? The odds certainly will be better with one of his favorite receivers, Michael Crabtree, back on the field. Even if Crabtree has a limited role – and that would be wise – his game-breaking ability should stretch the Rams’ defense and open things up for Kaepernick and this season’s two favorite targets, wide receiver Anquan Boldin and tight end Vernon Davis. Running back Frank Gore will benefit, too, because opposing defenses will have to focus more on the passing game. With most of his weapons back, maybe Kaepernick will put on a show like he did in the season-opening win against the Packers.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• We’ve poked fun at Sacramento Republic FC for being a third-tier minor-league team, but if president Warren Smith can get nearly 7,000 fans to the team’s games at the still-unbuilt facility at Cal Expo next year, it will impress MLS officials who award expansion franchises. Our suggestion: Make it family friendly, with inexpensive tickets and a variety of food and beverage options. Looking into our crystal ball, we see perhaps a dozen or more food trucks camped outside the entrances, too.
• When San Jose State hosted Fresno State in football Friday, a basketball game broke out. Or at least you’d think that based on the Spartans’ 62-52 victory. Fresno State entered the game unbeaten and No. 16 in the BCS standings, but the loss ended any hope of getting into one of the BCS bowl games. After all, if the Bulldogs can’t hold San Jose State to fewer than 50 points, what would happen against, say, Oklahoma State or Baylor?
– Tom Couzens
What to do, watch
NBA, Warriors at Kings,
3 p.m., Sleep Train Arena, Ch. 10 : If you’re not into the NFL, the Warriors are always entertaining to watch.
What’s your take on the Kings’ trade for forward Derrick Williams?
• Good deal, he can become a star.
• Bad deal, he’s going to ride the pine.
• Let’s wait and see.
To vote, go to sacbee.com/sports