In case you missed them, here are some teachable moments from the past seven days:
▪ The road to Rio needs a detour.
▪ When the going gets tough, Lionel Messi gets going.
▪ Former major leaguer Eric Byrnes could score from first on a single, and he can run 100 miles in under 23 hours.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
▪ The Giants are taking that “even year” thing seriously.
▪ He who last-lap passes last, last-lap passes best, if you’re Tony Stewart on a road course.