UC Davis’ Luke Vivolo shot a career-best 6-under-par 66 for a three-stroke lead, and the Aggies opened a nine-shot lead Saturday after two rounds of the El Macero Classic, UCD reported.
The Aggies fired a 1-under 287 on their home course for an 8-under total entering today’s final round. Marquette and Sacramento State shared second place at 1 over.
Vivolo was at 11-under 133.
▪ Led by Paige Lee, the 24th-ranked UC Davis women tied for third place at the SMU/DAC Invitational in Dallas, the Aggies reported.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
UCD finished at 24 over. Oklahoma State won at 11 over. Lee placed sixth at 5-over 221 after a 78.
Sac State baseball team blows lead at Utah Valley
▪ Sac State surrendered a five-run lead in an 11-9 loss to Utah Valley in Orem, Utah, the Hornets reported.
Scotty Burcham hit a three-run homer, and Gunner Pollman had a solo shot to help Sac State (18-15, 6-5 Western Athletic Conference) lead 9-4 after 51/2 innings. But the Wolverines (12-20, 8-3) came back with seven runs in the sixth.
▪ UC Davis lost for the fifth time in seven games, 10-6 to visiting Cal State Fullerton, the Aggies reported.
Izaak Silva tied a career high with four hits for UCD (20-12-1, 4-4 Big West Conference). The Titans (18-15, 5-3) broke it open with four runs in the middle innings.
▪ Sacramento City College handed San Joaquin Delta its first loss of the season, 7-5 in Stockton, according to the Panthers’ website.
SCC (14-16, 6-9 Big 8 Conference) broke a 5-5 tie in the eighth on Kyle Blakeman’s double and Austin Spainhour’s single. The Mustangs (28-1, 14-1) were ranked No. 1 in the state.
Hornets put on power display in softball win
▪ The Sac State softball team tied a school record by hitting four homers in a 16-2 win over North Dakota in Grand Forks, N.D., the Hornets reported.
Paige Martin led off the game with a homer and hit a three-run drive in the second inning for Sac State (21-19, 10-2 Big Sky Conference). Sasha Marguiles capped an 11-run first inning with a three-run homer, and Alexis Martinez led off the second by going deep.
North Dakota (8-32, 0-12) lost its 14th in a row.
▪ Host UC Davis split a doubleheader with Cal Poly, the Aggies reported.
The Mustangs (20-22, 3-5 Big West) won the opener 2-0 on Sierra Hyland’s four-hitter. UCD (14-21, 2-6) won the nightcap 6-3 as Brianna Warner and Ashley Lotoszynski hit two-run homers.
Aggies get landmark victory in men’s tennis
Host UC Davis beat UC Santa Barbara in men’s tennis for the first time, winning 4-3, the Aggies reported.
Everett Maltby rallied to beat Erik Johnsson 5-7, 7-5, 6-2 to clinch UCD’s victory.
The Aggies (15-4, 3-0 Big West) ended the four-match winning streak of the Gauchos (10-8, 2-2).
Bee Sports staff