Negotiations have stalled between the city of Rocklin and the owner of the former Rocklin Golf Club, the city announced Monday.
A proposal to build hundreds of homes and create park space on the roughly 183-acre property was floated in March. Since then, the city held two public meetings and a series of conversations with the landowner, a management group led by Charlie Gibson.
The majority of residents want to leave the property “as is,” according to a city press release. Some residents supported minimal development accompanied by open land preservation, the city said.
City officials said earlier this year that residents were “just asking for something to be done with the land” because they were concerned about vandalism and vagrants.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
According to the city statement Monday, Gibson has indicated he plans to fence off the property “to protect against further trespass, vandalism and liability exposure. The city plans to work with the owner to ensure compliance with weed-abatement requirements and other applicable ordinances.”
“Ultimately, the terms under consideration were simply too far apart with no possibility for a compromise,” the release said. “The city is disappointed the negotiations did not result in a lasting benefit for all involved.”
Gibson closed the 54-year-old course once known as Sunset Whitney in August 2015. At the time, he said the course continued to lose money as its infrastructure crumbled and interest in golf waned. That year, he proposed turning 7 acres of the course into 32 single family homes.
The Rocklin City Council shot down that plan after an outcry from residents who wanted to prevent development of open space.