The Bee highlights 22 golfers that are scheduled to play in the 2015 U.S. Senior Open at Del Paso Country Club on June 25-28 in Sacramento.
Rocco Mediate has been playing professional golf since 1985, but his career has been marred by back problems. He has 12 victories, but a tournament many fans remember him for was one he didn’t win. Mediate took on a hobbled Tiger Woods in an 18-hole U.S. Open playoff in 2008, eventually losing by a stroke.
Unfortunately for Mediate, that second-place finish was his best in a PGA major.
WATCH: Mediate pitches in for eagle
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
(Video courtesy pgatour.com)
- Driving distance 2015: 268.1 yards (47th on Champions Tour)
- Scoring average 2015: 70.67 (14th)
- Career Champions Tour earnings: $2,363,071
- Career highlights: Mediate won his first tournament on the Champions Tour, becoming the 16th player to do so. In all, he has 12 victories and has amassed $19,155,689 between the Champions and PGA tours.
Note: Stats through June 10
- Height: 6-foot-1
- Weight: 190 pounds
- Year turned pro: 1985
- Birthplace: Greensburg, Pa.
- Birth date: Dec. 17, 1962
- College: Florida Southern
- Did you know? Golf isn’t Mediate’s only passion. He finished 600th out of 5,619 players in his first appearance at the 2005 World Series of Poker’s Main Event.