Maddy Denner logged a lot of laps in Clovis on Saturday night and returned home to El Dorado Hills weighted down a bit with medals.
The Oak Ridge High School junior won the CIF State girls 1,600-meter championship, pulling away at the 800-meter mark and finishing in 4 minutes, 44.89 seconds, the fourth fastest time in the country this season.
Denner outdistanced Olivia O’Keeffe of Davis, who was second in 4:51.50.
About two hours later, Denner finished second to Claudia Lane of Malibu in the 3,200 in 10:19.18. Lane clocked a 10:07.33. Denner’s twin sister Elena was fourth in the eight-lap race in 10:21.44.
Maddy Denner became just the fourth regional runner to win a CIF state running title since girls were included in 1974. Lindsay Hyatt won four successive 800-meter championships for Placer from 1996-99 with a best of 2:06.74 in 1999, Nia Dorner of Cordova won the 400 in 2013 in 53-seconds flat, and Fiona O’Keeffe of Davis took the 3,200 last season in 10:12.02. The older sister of Olivia, O’Keeffe is on scholarship at Stanford.
Denner was the area’s lone state champion.
Other regional medalists include:
▪ Cathilyn McIntosh of Del Oro, who was second in the girls 800 in 2:09.84 to Alyssa Brewer of California High of San Ramon (2:09.12).
▪ The Sheldon girls 400 relay, which placed third at 3:47.68 to Bishop O’Dowd of Oakland (3:46.33) and Dana Hills (3:47.50).
▪ Jake Grimsman of Vista del Lago, who was second in the high jump at 6 feet, 9 inches. Sean Lee of Trabuco Hills won at 6-11.
▪ Lance Huber of Del Oro, who was second in the pole vault at 16-4 to Tate Curran of Redondo (16-10).
▪ Myles Ellis of Antelope, who placed third in the 400 in 47.23. He also helped the Titans’ 400 relay team place sixth in 41.64, the top finisher for Northern California teams.
▪ Andrew Franco of Whitney, who was sixth in the 200 in 21.55.
▪ Michael Vernau of Davis, who was fourth in the 3200 in 9:01.61 in one of the weekend’s best finishes. Callum Bolger of San Luis Obispo won in 8:53.91, followed by Luis Grijalva of Armijo in Fairfiled (8:54.65) and Cooper Teare of St. Joseph of Alameda (8:55.93).
▪ DeAndra McDaniel of Natomas, who was seventh in the triple jump at 46-5.5.
For complete results: rtspt.com/events/cif/2017