SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants’ lineup for tonight’s series opener against the Colorado Rockies doesn’t include either Angel Pagan or Buster Posey, with manager Bruce Bochy saying he wanted to give both players a night off.
Posey caught all of the Giants’ 10-inning, 4 ½-hour loss to the Diamondbacks last night and was also involved in a collision with Paul Goldschmidt beating out a bunt single at first base. Posey said today he’s "a little sore" overall, but nothing specific to that play.
"He was going to get a day (either tonight or Saturday), so I decided to get him tonight off and play him tomorrow," Bochy said. "Same with Pagan."
The bunt single, which came with two outs and Pagan on third, was the first of Posey’s major-league career, and Bochy said it took the dugout by surprise. Bochy added today, though, that Posey had mentioned wanting to bunt more this season because opposing teams usually play him so eep at third base.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
"That’s the perfect time to use it really," Bochy said. "What’s amazing is it’s not like he does it a lot, practices it a lot, and he laid down a perfect bunt."
Bochy isn’t big on giving away outs with sacrifice bunts, but said that bunting for a hit can be a "great weapon, especially if you’re not quite locked in at the plate," and that he wouldn’t mind seeing Brandon Belt specifically try it more when defenses over-shift to the right side of the infield on Belt, leaving the third-base line open.
Here’s the full Giants lineup for tonight against left-hander Jorge De La Rosa:
And the Rockies’ lineup against Bumgarner:
2B D.J. LeMahieu
P De La Rosa
* Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and catcher Wilin Rosario were both in an original Rockies lineup put out before they did pre-game work. But according to the Denver Post’s Troy Renck, Tulowitzki felt some right quad tightness and Rosario is dealing with a strained right wrist, so both are now not in the lineup.
The Rockies intend to rest Tulowitzki tonight and play him both day games this weekend, according to Renck.
* Bochy said closer Sergio Romo is available tonight after experiencing some stomach discomfort during his inning last night due to a virus.
"He’s fine," Bochy said.
While every reliever in the Giants bullpen pitched Thursday night, Bochy said the only one he’d be likely to stay away from is Yusmeiro Petit, who has pitched each of the last two games.
* Reliever Jeremy Affeldt (sprained right knee) threw a scoreless inning with two strikeouts with High-A San Jose on Thursday night. Bochy had said the plan was for Affeldt to pitch back-to-back nights, but said today Affeldt will instead pitch Saturday for San Jose and be stretched out to about 35 pitches.
"After that we’ll decide which way we’ll go with him," Bochy said.
* Pagan and Posey being out means Michael Morse gets his first start in the cleanup spot with the Giants. It’s a timely one -- Morse has an eight-game hitting streak during which he’s 11-for-24 with two home runs and 10 RBIs. He also has a lifetime .452 average (28-for-62) with 12 RBIs in 15 career games against the Rockies.
* The only National League team that has scored more runs this season than the Giants? The Rockies, who are averaging 6 runs over their first 10 games. They’ve never fared well at AT&T Park against Bumgarner, though, who is 3-1 with a 1.43 ERA in six career starts against Colorado at home.