Defending champion Republic FC will open the 2015 USL Pro season March 28 by hosting the rival LA GalaxyII at Bonney Field.
Republic FC and Galaxy II will be part of a new 12-team Western Conference as USL Pro expands to 24 teams.
The remainder of Republic FC’s USL Pro schedule will be released Monday.
▪ Paul Lyons and Caprice Powell each recorded the second-fastest times in Sacramento State history in their respective track and field events at the Jack Johnson Classic in Minneapolis on Saturday, Sac State reported. Lyons finished third in the 60-meter hurdles at 7.88 seconds, and Powell placed fourth in the 60 at 7.56 seconds.
▪ Ashley Marshall of UCDavis won the 60-meter dash in 7.48 seconds at the UW Invitational in Seattle, according to UCD. Marshall also won the 200 in 24.60 seconds on Friday.
▪ Samantha Shellem prevailed in two freestyle races plus the 200-yard individual medley, and Hilvy Cheung, Hilary Hunt and Audrey DeNeffe also won two events each, leading host UC Davis (5-2) to a 158-115 victory over Pacific in a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation women’s swimming and diving dual meet, UCD reported.
▪ Jesse Ross beat Sebastien Mathieu 6-3, 7-5 at No. 6 singles, giving the visiting UC Davis men’s tennis team (5-2) a 4-3 upset over No. 52 Santa Clara (3-2), according to UCD.
▪ Iveta Masarova outlasted Lani-Rae Green 6-1, 4-6, 7-5 in the deciding match as the Pacific women’s tennis team (1-0) spoiled UC Davis’ (2-4) home opener, UCD reported.
Despite winning the first doubles match and forcing seven tiebreakers in singles, the Sac State men’s tennis team (1-1) lost 7-0 to Loyola Marymount (2-2) in Los Angeles, Sac State reported.
▪ No. 18 UC Davis (1-3) lost to No. 1 Stanford 16-4 and No. 7 San Jose State 15-6 in the Stanford Invitational women’s water polo tournament, UCD reported.
Bee Sports staff