Sacramento Kings minority owner and Republic FC chairman Kevin Nagle donated $2,000 to District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert’s re-election campaign Friday, according to campaign finance records.
The donation came just over a week after the Kings announced a partnership with the Sacramento chapter of Black Lives Matter and Build. Black. Coalition, two groups that have frequently staged protests outside Schubert’s office since the March 18 shooting of Stephon Clark.
Activist Shaun King first drew attention to Nagle’s donation on Twitter on Sunday. King co-founded Real Justice PAC, a political action committee with a goal of electing DA candidates that commit to reducing "mass incarceration." King's group has provided $19,000 to Schubert opponent Noah Phillips.
Nagle, who declined to comment about his donation Tuesday, previously donated $500 to Schubert’s 2018 campaign in June 2015. Schubert also received $13,000 total from two local law enforcement unions days after the shooting, contributions that the groups said were from a previous commitment.
Schubert already has received endorsements from many of the area's prominent leaders across the political spectrum, including all nine Sacramento City Council members.
But Clark’s shooting has emerged as a sudden campaign issue in Schubert’s June 5 re-election bid against Deputy District Attorney Phillips.
On March 29, the Kings announced they would start a scholarship fund for Clark’s two children and work with Black Lives Matter and Build. Black. Coalition to address education and economic gaps for African Americans in Sacramento.
Kings players Vince Carter and Garrett Temple and retired player Doug Christie discussed police brutality and other issues facing young African Americans at a forum at South Sacramento Christian Church the next night.
Clark, 22, was shot eight times by two Sacramento Police Department officers while holding what was believed to be a gun but later determined to be a cellphone. He was killed in a backyard of a house that police later identified as his grandparents'.
Law enforcement personnel had pursued Clark in south Sacramento’s Meadowview neighborhood after reports of him smashing car windows and a glass door with a “toolbar.”
Protesters have criticized Schubert, a registered Republican, for not filing charges against Sacramento police officers who shot Joseph Mann in July 2016. She has yet to announce whether she will file charges against the two officers who shot Clark.
While Schubert will conduct a review of the shooting, as her office routinely does for officer-involved shootings resulting in injury or death, State Attorney General Xavier Becerra said last month he would provide independent oversight.
A group disrupted Schubert’s appearance at a rally for crime victims Monday at the Capitol, yelling out Clark’s name and demanding charges against the officers. Protesters have marched outside her G Street office on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons and have announced plans to continue doing so for the foreseeable future. They held a "barbecue" there Tuesday.
Benjy Egel: (916) 321-1052, @BenjyEgel