The Kings have long sought an upgrade at shooting guard, and they believe they found one in veteran Arron Afflalo.
The Kings and Afflalo agreed on a two-year deal worth $25 million Saturday, league sources confirmed, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the deal cannot be announced until Thursday when the league moratorium on signing new contracts is lifted.
Sacramento also reached a two-year, $16 million deal with power forward Anthony Tolliver, sources said.
Both deals are partially guaranteed for the second season.
Afflalo, 30, will be asked to provide much-needed stability at shooting guard.
Last season, Afflalo averaged 12.8 points and 3.7 rebounds in 71 games, including 57 starts, for the New York Knicks. He shot 44.3 percent from the field, including 38.2 percent from three-point range.
Afflalo was picked 27th overall by the Detroit Pistons in 2007 out of UCLA. He also has played for Denver, Orlando and Portland.
Afflalo’s best season was 2013-14, when he averaged 18.2 points and shot 42.7 percent from three-point range for Orlando.
Though Afflalo’s only season in New York did not meet the Knicks’ expectations, he figures to be an improvement over the Kings’ shooting guards in recent seasons.
At the very least, the 6-foot-5, 210-pound Afflalo gives the Kings a proven NBA starter at the position for the first time in years.
This is the second consecutive summer the Kings have used free agency to add depth at shooting guard after two draft picks failed to secure the starting job.
Last year, Sacramento signed Marco Belinelli. But after he had career-low shooting numbers, the Kings traded Belinelli to Charlotte for the 22nd pick in last month’s NBA draft, which was used on Syracuse shooting guard Malachi Richardson.
The de facto starter would have been Ben McLemore, selected seventh overall by the Kings in the 2013 draft.
McLemore had a strong second season, averaging 12.1 points, but his playing time decreased last season in favor of Belinelli under coach George Karl. McLemore averaged a career-low 7.8 points, leading to speculation he would be traded.
McLemore shot a career-best 36.2 percent from three-point range, the third consecutive season his three-point accuracy improved, but his overall shooting dipped to 42.9 percent.
Even if McLemore returns, Sacramento doesn’t want him and Richardson as its top two shooting guards.
Despite reaching a deal with Afflalo, the Kings might add another shooting guard. Restricted free agent Dion Waiters is expected to meet with the team this weekend.
At point guard, the Kings don’t intend to re-sign Rajon Rondo, according to league sources, which would leave them with just Darren Collison and rookie Isaiah Cousins at the position.
Shooting guard Seth Curry is a restricted free agent, so the Kings have the right to match any offer sheet he might sign if they do not negotiate a deal with him.
Tolliver, an eight-year veteran out of Creighton, averaged 5.3 points and 3.2 rebounds in 18.6 minutes per game last season for Detroit.
Sacramento might trade small forward Rudy Gay, the sources said. Gay is due $13.3 million next season, a relative bargain with the increase in the salary cap.
The Kings would like a “three and D” wing player, a good defender who can make three-point shots.
Sacramento was interested in Ryan Anderson as a stretch power forward, but the former Oak Ridge High School and Cal star reportedly has agreed to a deal with Houston.