It's hard to find 49ers brights spots in a game they were out of a mere 43 seconds in, but here's something that at least isn't dark and gloomy: The 49ers defense played relatively few snaps despite the ineffective 49ers offense.
* After logging 83 snaps -- which is a lot, especially on a hot, humid day -- a week earlier in Carolina, Sunday's count for the defense was 70. The team also started substituting late in the game. Safety Eric Reid (68 snaps) played the most of any 49er, followed by linebacker NaVorro Bowman (61), cornerback Tramaine Brock (61), safety Antoine Bethea (60) and linebacker Gerald Hodges (60).
* Deforest Buckner led the defensive line in snaps for the third straight game. He had 57, Mike Purcell (who played both nose tackle and end) had 39, Quinton Dial had 38, Arik Armstead 28, Glenn Dorsey 18, Ronald Blair 13. Buckner had another good game, finishing second to Reid with eight tackles.
* Will Michael Wilhoite take over the snaps that were meant for injured Ray-Ray Armstrong? No, at least not in this game. Wilhoite played 9 snaps, the same as Nick Bellore, after they replaced Bowman and Hodges in the fourth quarter.
* At outside linebacker, Ahmad Brooks led the way with 49 snaps. Eli Harold had 34 and Tank Carradine 33 -- the first time Harold's and Carradine's snap counts have been that close this year. That's a season-high for Carradine, who had 23 snaps in the first two games. Carradine had a quarterback hit and two tackles; Harold had a tackle and what would have been his first career sack, but instead was flagged for a horse-collar tackle. He also was out of position on a long run early by Christine Michael.
* Jaquiski Tartt played 30 snaps at safety, the most he's had this season. That's partially because he spelled Bethea late in the game. Also, Reid took on some of the coverage duties that likely would have gone to Armstrong. That sent a third safety, Tartt, into the game.
* After Jimmie Ward left the game (quadriceps) in the second quarter, Keith Reaser filled in at cornerback. He played 25 snaps, Rashard Robinson played 9 and Donate Johnson played 2.
* Carlos Hyde took 40 snaps at running back and Shaun Draughn had 17. Mike Davis only entered the game on special teams. DuJuan Harris was inactive.
* Andrew Tiller took all 57 snaps at right guard after an ankle injury forced him out of portions of the previous two games. For the second time this season, the 49ers did not allow a sack.
* The only player in uniform who did not see the field was quarterback Colin Kaepernick.