San Francisco 49ers

49ers notebook: Dee Ford’s goal for 2020 is simply to remain available to play

The 49ers averaged 3.5 sacks per game with pass rusher Dee Ford on the field during the 2019 regular season. Without Ford, that number dropped to 1.8. In the playoffs, with Ford playing, San Francisco’s ferocious pass rush got home 4.3 times each game.

So it’s easy to see what kind of impact Ford had in his first season with the team. He managed a respectable 6.5 sacks in the regular season despite playing in just 22 percent of the defensive snaps.

Those numbers paint a clear picture of what Ford’s goals are heading into 2020.

“A successful season for me is me, every play, being the best that I can be every play, and being available every play,” Ford said during a Zoom call with reporters Thursday. “You saw glimpses of me, but not to that full throttle.”

Availability was a theme for Ford, who had surgery in the offseason done by Dr. James Andrews to clean up tendinitis that plagued him beginning in training camp last August.

Ford said he feels markedly better this time around. He’s still working into football shape and wants to participate in 11-on-11 drills next week when padded practices begin, but it’s likely the team takes things slow with the former Kansas City Chiefs Pro Bowl selection.

The 49ers will need him to be more productive now defensive tackle DeForest Buckner is with the Indianapolis Colts and opponents could be focusing their protections schemes on Nick Bosa, the reigning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Ford said each player in the defensive line room Thursday went through areas they could improve. Ford continued talking about being available and healthy, but also mentioned his speed breaking off the ball, which was notable because it’s commonly considered one of his best traits as pass rusher.

“The initial get off from when the ball snaps can be a lot better,” Ford said. “And so, if you are glued into the ball every single play, a lot of defensive linemen, anybody who plays on the front is going to be a whole lot better. It’s tough to glue in on the ball every single down, and that’s one of my goals.”

Ford also had a promising report on recent first-round draft pick Javon Kinlaw, who will be tasked with replacing Buckner on the inside. Ford said the South Carolina alum has Bosa-like qualities early in the process.

“(He’s) everything that you want to see in a rookie, he wants to be a sponge, he wants to soak everything up and he wants to learn,” Ford said. “He reminds me of Bosa when he came in, didn’t say too much. When you’re a first-round draft pick, you can come in and you can smell yourself and you can be a little entitled. That’s not him. That’s not his DNA. He fits in well with the guys.”

49ers work out more receivers

Tavon Austin wasn’t the only wide receiver San Francisco is considering adding to its depleted group.

According to ESPN, the 49ers this week will have worked out free agents Donte Moncrief and J.J. Nelson. The team planned to have former Washington State quarterback Luke Falk throw to them, according to the report.

Moncrief, who turned 27 last week, was a former third-round draft choice of the Indianapolis Colts. He’s also played for the Jacksonville Jaguars, Carolina Panthers and Pittsburgh Steelers. His best season came in 2015, when he recorded 733 yards on 64 catches with six touchdowns.

Nelson, 28, played four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals before spending last season with the Raiders. He had four catches for 36 yards in two games.

San Francisco on Thursday announced the signing of interior offensive linemen Spencer Long to a one-year contract to compete for a depth role. Defensive lineman Alex Barrett was released to make room.

This story was originally published August 13, 2020 at 6:10 PM.

Related Stories from Sacramento Bee
Chris Biderman
The Sacramento Bee
Chris Biderman covers sports and local news for The Sacramento Bee since joining in August 2018 to cover the San Francisco 49ers. He previously spent time with the Associated Press and USA Today Sports Media Group, and has been published in the San Francisco Chronicle, The Athletic and on MLB.com. The Santa Rosa native graduated with a degree in journalism from the Ohio State University.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Sacramento sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Sacramento area sports - only $30 for 1 year

VIEW OFFER