49ERS GAME AT A GLANCE
• Opponent: at Tampa Bay
• Time: 10 a.m.
• Line: 49ers by 5
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
• Records: 49ers 9-4, Buccaneers 4-9
• TV/radio: FOX (Dick Stockton play-by-play, Ronde Barber color), 680, 1320
MATCHUP TO WATCH
Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy vs. right guard Alex Boone
Boone had his hands full last week against Seattle’s big, but quick defensive linemen, and he committed two penalties. That’s uncharacteristic for the right guard, who was the 49ers’ least penalized lineman a year ago. Today, he’ll square off against McCoy, one of the top defensive tackles in the league. McCoy’s game also is built on his quickness, and he has seven sacks this season and an amazing 48 quarterback hurries. The third pick in the draft in 2010, he has excelled in flushing quarterbacks from the pocket.
THREE KEYS TO GAME
• The 49ers settled for field goals last week vs. Seattle and got away with it. However, they must turn their red-zone opportunities into touchdowns, especially through the air. Unbelievably, Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin remain the only 49ers with touchdown catches this season.
• The49errs’ blockers, especially fullback Bruce Miller, must get into the second level of the defense and find linebacker Lavonte David. The second-year player is fifth in the league with 117 tackles. (NaVorro Bowman is fourth with 120).
• The 49ers special teams are doing well except in all but one regard. The team is 23rd in average punt and kick return. A strong game from the return team would provide a nice boost for Colin Kaepernick and the offense.
• Questionable: CB Tarell Brown (ribs), G Mike Iupati (knee), WR Mario Manningham (knee), TE Vance McDonald (ankle)
• Probable: WR Jon Baldwin (shoulder), WR Michael Crabtree (ankle), S Craig Dahl (ankle), RB Frank Gore (ankle), DT Ray McDonald (ankle), LB Dan Skuta (foot), LB Aldon Smith (shoulder), DT Justin Smith (shoulder), G Adam Snyder (not injury related), T Joe Staley (knee)
• Out: G Carl Nicks (foot)
• Probable: DE Da’Quan (knee), LB Lavonte Davids (back), DE William Gholston (head), DT Gary Gibson (calf), WR Vincent Jackson (hamstring), G David Joseph (knee/shoulder), DT Akeem Spence (wrist), C Jeremy Zuttah (shoulder)
– Matthew Barrows