The 49ers released the first depth chart of 2015 in advance of Saturday’s preseason opener. Jim Tomsula warned that it’s a fluid chart and that it shouldn’t be taken as gospel.
As someone who’s watched every practice from start to finish, I can attest that it’s largely accurate. But here are a few notes:
* I would put Arik Armstead ahead of Kaleb Ramsey at left defensive end. Ramsey has been dealing with a shoulder injury while Armstead has stood out at times in nearly every practice. Look for Armstead at left end and Lawrence Okoye at right end during the second half Saturday.
* Marcus Martin isn’t listed at center, but there are scenarios open in which he could be the starting center -- with Brandon Thomas or Ian Silberman at right guard -- for Week 1. Still, he mostly has played right guard this spring and summer.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
* Nickel cornerback is not listed. Brock has been playing there with Dontae Johnson entering the game on the outside. Keith Reaser has been lining up at nickel with the second-team defense.
* Meanwhile, Anquan Boldin plays a lot of slot receiver just as he did last year. DeAndrew White also has spent a lot of time in the slot.
* With Philip Wheeler nursing an injury, look for Shayne Skov and Desmond Bishop to come in with the second-team unit. Then again, coaches might want Nick Moody to get extra reps after NaVorro Bowman makes an anticipated quick exit.
* Reggie Bush is listed as the first-team punt and kick returner. It’s unlikely he gets a lot -- or any -- work there in the preseason. With Bruce Ellington dealing with a minor injury, look for White, Jarryd Hayne and Mario Hull to bring back punts.
* Jimmie Ward (foot) has not been on the field at all during the team portions of training camp.
Wide receiver: Anquan Boldin, Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington, DeAndrew White, Isaac Blakeney, DiAndre Campbell, Nigel King
Left tackle: Joe Staley, Patrick Miller, Sean Hooey
Left guard: Alex Boone, Andrew Tiller
Center: Joe Looney, Ian Silberman, Dillon Farrell
Right guard: Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas
Right tackle: Erik Pears, Trent Brown, Justin Renfrow
Tight end: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Derek Carrier, Garrett Celek, Blake Bell, Asante Cleveland, Xavier Grimble
Wide receiver: Torrey Smith, Jerome Simpson, Chuck Jacobs, Dres Anderson, Mario Hull
Fullback: Bruce Miller, Trey Millard
Running back: Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Mike Davis, Jarryd Hayne, Kendall Gaskins
Quarterback: Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert, Dylan Thompson
Left defensive end: Glenn Dorsey, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Darnell Dockett, Kaleb Ramsey, Arik Armstead
Nose tackle: Ian Williams, Mike Purcell, Garrison Smith
Right defensive end: Quinton Dial, Tank Carradine, Lawrence Okoye
Left outside linebacker: Ahmad Brooks, Aaron Lynch, Marcus Rush
Inside linebacker: NaVorro Bowman, Shane Skov, Desmond Bishop
Inside linebacker: Nick Moody, Philip Wheeler, Steve Beauharnais
Right outside linebacker: Corey Lemonier, Eli Harold, Shawn Lemon
Left cornerback: Tramaine Brock, Dontae Johnson, Keith Reaser, Mylan Hicks
Right cornerback: Shareece Wright, Marcus Cromartie, Kenneth Acker, Leon McFadden
Free safety: Eric Reid, Jimmie Ward, Jaquiski Tartt, Jermaine Whitehead
Strong safety: Antoine Bethea, Craig Dahl, L.J. McCray
Punter: Bradley Pinion
Kicker: Phil Dawson, Corey Acosta
Holder: Bradley Pinion
Punt return: Reggie Bush, Bruce Ellington, Jarryd Hayne
Kick return: Reggie Bush, DeAndrew White, Mario Hull
Long snapper: Kyle Nelson