Other Sports

Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz retirement tweets stir up UFC

Nate Diaz: 'Not a lot has changed' since shocking UFC world

Stockton native Nate Diaz shocked the UFC world last month by upsetting heavy favorite Conor McGregor in UFC 193 in Las Vegas. Back in his gym in Lodi, Diaz talked about what life has been like since his stunning victory on Thursday, March 17, 201
Up Next
Stockton native Nate Diaz shocked the UFC world last month by upsetting heavy favorite Conor McGregor in UFC 193 in Las Vegas. Back in his gym in Lodi, Diaz talked about what life has been like since his stunning victory on Thursday, March 17, 201

Conor McGregor appeared to announce his retirement from the UFC on Tuesday afternoon in a tweet.

McGregor is out of UFC 200

McGregor was due to fight Stockton’s Nate Diaz in a welterweight rematch after Diaz won their March 5 fight by second-round submission. UFC President Dana White said Tuesday his company has pulled Conor McGregor off the main event of the marquee UFC 200 card July 9 in Las Vegas for not fulfilling duties to the company that were required this week.

Diaz followed McGregor’s tweet with his own.

Is he retiring?

McGregor was supposed to appear at a planned UFC 200 news conference this week in Las Vegas, where the company will stage UFC 197 at MGM Grand. Along with that, McGregor was to perform promotional and marketing filming in advance of his event at T-Mobile Arena.

"We're working on other fights right now ... Conor didn't want to come ... he's in Iceland training right now," White said on ESPN. "You have to do the press conference."

"Is Conor McGregor retiring? Only he can answer that question. I don't know," White said. "But he's not fighting at UFC 200."

Diaz could possibly fight lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos, or welterweight champion Robbie Lawler, or McGregor could back down and try to return to the card.

  Comments