▪ After taking over a Denver Nuggets team that was 17-25, George Karl led them to a 32-8 record; can he perform a similar near-miracle with the Kings?
▪ Karl led the Nuggets to the playoffs in all nine seasons he coached them, so should Kings fans expect similar results?
▪ DeMarcus Cousins is having his best season (23.8 points, 12.5 rebounds); will he sacrifice individual stats for more victories?
▪ Warriors guards Steph Curry and Klay Thompson – the “Splash Brothers” – will start for the Western Conference in Sunday’s NBA All-Star Game, so will the ball ever go inside?
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
▪ Speaking of Curry, did he really invite Cousins to become a “Splash Brother” if the big fella puts up enough three-point shots in Sunday’s game?
▪ The Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony likely will “shut it down” and have surgery on his left knee, so why is he still playing in the All-Star Game?
▪ No one seems to be taking Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch’s talk of retirement seriously; have we forgotten Barry Sanders?
▪ If a stadium is built on the site of Hollywood Park in Inglewood, how many NFL teams will move there?
▪ John Daly shot a 65 on Thursday at Pebble Beach for his best opening round on the PGA Tour in 10 years, but was anyone surprised that he followed with a 72?
▪ If Sacramento State hosts the Big Sky Conference men’s basketball tournament in Reno, how cool would it be to travel there on Amtrak’s “snow train”?
– Tom Couzens
What to watch
Golf, Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, 10 a.m., GOLF, and noon, Ch. 13: After shooting a 69 in the second round on Friday, Dixon’s Nick Watney is in the hunt.
What to do
College baseball, Utah at Sacramento State, 1 p.m., John Smith Field: It’s the second game of a four-game season-opening series.
On this date
1988: Bobby Allison outduels his son Davey, 26, to win the Daytona 500 and becomes the first 50-year-old to win NASCAR’s premier event.
Breaking news alerts
Sign up for email alerts for breaking sports stories: www.sacbee.com/newsletters