For sports fans, every weekend is busy. Do you mow the lawn Saturday or watch Tiger Woods play golf? And don’t forget: Sunday is Mother’s Day.
Here are our five best bets this weekend:
1. Amgen Tour of California: The first stage of the men’s competition is Sunday, and if you were organized (and thoughtful) you would be one of the few hundred folks with a reservation at the Ryde Hotel for Mother’s Day brunch before sticking around to see the riders coming past the hotel shortly after noon. Or you can catch them leaving the State Capitol at 10:50 a.m. (the top riders are expected back at the State Capitol about 3:45 p.m.) If you want to head to the mountains, you can check out the first two stages of the women’s competition at Heavenly Mountain Resort in South Lake Tahoe on Friday (11 a.m.) and Saturday (10:30 a.m.). The women’s third stage on Sunday starts at the State Capitol at 11:15 a.m.
2. Players Championship: Most of the world’s top golfers – plus Tiger Woods – will be at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. (Friday, 10 a.m., GOLF; Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m., Ch. 3). Woods hasn’t won a tournament since 2013, but earlier this week he told reporters: “I’m on the right road. Eventually, it’ll click in and I’ll have a little run.” But will he survive the cut and play into the weekend?
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
3. NBA playoffs, Warriors at Memphis: By the time this Western Conference semifinal series resumes Saturday (5 p.m., Ch. 10), the players will have had three days of rest. Maybe that will be enough time for the Warriors to figure out how they lost Game 2 – and home-court advantage – to the Grizzlies.
4. Republic FC vs. Seattle Sounders FC 2: The defending USL champions return to Bonney Field on Saturday (7:30 p.m.) for the first time in two weeks. It’s also one of just two USL matches at home this month.
5. River Cats: After a four-game trip to Reno, the River Cats are back home to play four against Albuquerque (Friday-Saturday, 7:05 p.m.; Sunday, 1:05 pm.; Monday, 12:05 p.m.). There are fireworks after Friday’s and Saturday’s games and a Mother’s Day celebration Sunday, followed by a rare lunch-hour game Monday.
What to watch
Baseball, Miami at Giants, 7:05 p.m., CSNBA: If Tim Lincecum has another strong outing, will we start hearing Cy Young chants at AT&T Park?
Trending on Twitter
Shaq: The Internet was abuzz after big man Shaquille O’Neal, who owns a small stake in the Kings, took a tumble off the TNT stage Wednesday night. Shaq later offered to pay $500 for whoever turned his fall into the best #Shaqtinafall meme.
On this date
May 8, 1968: The A’s Jim ‘‘Catfish’’ Hunter pitches a perfect game, beating the Minnesota Twins 4-0. It is the first perfect game in the American League in 46 regular seasons.