Reading time, two minutes …
▪ After winning the NBA title, the Warriors unquestionably were the best team in the league this season, but there’s still plenty of argument about the Warriors’ Andre Iguodala being named the Finals MVP.
Sure, Iggy sparked the Warriors when he replaced Andrew Bogut in the starting lineup for Game 4, but no player has had a more dominating Finals than the Cavaliers’ LeBron James, who averaged 35.8 points, 13.3 rebounds and 8.8 assists.
Why limit the award to players? Warriors coach Steve Kerr made the decision to bench Bogut and go small – play Warriors basketball – and Golden State outscored Cleveland by 42 points in three consecutive victories. Kerr was the Finals’ Most Valuable Person.
▪ Most everyone agrees the Kings’ naming-rights deal with Golden 1 Credit Union is good for the team and the city. Golden 1 has been a Sacramento fixture since 1933, and Golden 1 Center sure beats Sleep Train Arena and Power Balance Pavilion, as far as names go.
Many arenas have catchy nicknames, including “The Shark Tank” and “The Garden” (Madison Square, not Boston), so what nickname should we give the Kings’ new arena? During Tuesday’s news conference, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson dubbed it “G1,” perhaps not a great idea for the folks who reportedly spent $120 million. The “Rise Guys” on ESPN 1320 went with “The One.”
But Golden 1 Center sounds cool to us, a fitting name for an arena in the Golden State’s capital.
▪ When we learned the Denver Nuggets had hired Michael Malone as their coach, we scratched our heads. He’s rejoining Pete D’Alessandro, the former Kings general manager who fired Malone early last season, a move many thought led to another poor season.
But if you listen to Malone, there’s no bad blood between these guys. “People don’t realize, Pete and I never had any problems,” Malone told the Denver Post on Wednesday.
Good luck, Nuggets fans.
Tom Couzens: (916) 321-1097, email@example.com, @tomcouzens
- WHAT TO WATCH: Baseball, Giants at L.A. Dodgers, 7:10 p.m., Ch. 31: Rookie Chris Heston, who pitched a no-hitter last week, opens for the Giants.
- TWITTER CHATTER: “Hope we can get the Golden 1 Center. Call it the G1C. Then we can all rap ‘there’s so much drama in the G1C it’s kinda hard being Boogie, DMC’” – @JayMarZZ
- ON THIS DATE: On June 19, 1936, German heavyweight Max Schmeling knocked out unbeaten Joe Louis in the 12th round, setting off a propaganda war between the Nazi regime and the United States.