Reading time, two minutes …
▪ One of the most interesting tweets last week came from Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports: “In midst of DeMarcus saga, Kings showing strong interest in free agent C JaVale McGee, a source said. McGee played for George Karl in Denver.”
Yes, JaVale McGee, who reportedly was central to Karl being fired two years ago despite being named Coach of the Year and leading the Nuggets to the playoffs.
Karl had a falling-out in Denver after reportedly refusing management’s insistence that he start McGee, who signed a four-year, $44 million contract before the 2012-13 season. In the first round of the 2013 playoffs against the Warriors, Karl started Kosta Koufos at center in the first two games, went with a small starting lineup without Koufos or McGee in the next two games and started McGee in the final two games. Denver lost the series 4-2.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Less than a month later, Karl was fired.
▪ Power forward LaMarcus Aldridge is one of this year’s top unrestricted free agents.
Aldridge is being pursued by several teams – and star players. The Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony and the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant reportedly will make pitches to the talented big man, who averaged 23.4 points and 10.2 rebounds last season with the Trail Blazers.
And the Spurs’ Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili reportedly will meet with Aldridge in Los Angeles today.
No offense to Bryant and Anthony, but if Duncan, the “Big Fundamental” who has five rings, travels to meet me, I’m saying, “When should I be in San Antonio?”
▪ You have to love the Giants’ chances in the National League West this season, even in an “odd” year.
Entering Tuesday, the Giants were a half-game behind the Dodgers for first. And help is on the way this week.
Matt Cain is scheduled to pitch for the first time in almost a year in Thursday’s series finale in Miami, and Jake Peavy is set to make his first start since April 17 on Friday in Washington.
If Cain and Peavy are at the top of their games, the Giants will be hard to beat.
Tom Couzens: 916-321-1097, email@example.com, @tomcouzens
- WHAT TO WATCH: Baseball, Giants at Miami, 4:10 p.m., CSNBA: Giants rookie right-hander Chris Heston goes for his ninth victory.
- TWITTER CHATTER: “Potential starting 5 for Lakers: D’Angelo Russell, Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMarcus Cousins.” – @BJackson1629
- ON THIS DATE: On July 1, 1995, the NBA locked out its players, the first work stoppage in league history