This, that and the other thing:
• Let’s hope Mario Goetze likes beer, and a lot of it. The 22-year-old attacking midfielder for the German national soccer team will never have to buy another beer thanks to his extra-time goal to beat Argentina in the World Cup final on Sunday in Brazil.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• The 2014 World Cup will be remembered for exciting, close matches, with the United States reaching the knockout round and Brazil, favored to win the 32-team tournament, humiliated by Germany 7-1 in a semifinal and embarrassed by the Netherlands 3-0 in the third-place game.
• Baseball has reached the All-Star break, meaning the Home Run Derby will be Monday night at Target Field in Minnesota. Yoenis Cespedes of the A’s will defend his title, but the derby hasn’t been the same since the Steroid Era, when Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire hit balls out of stadiums. Now it’s not much better than the NBA’s Slam Dunk Contest.
• The 1980s 49ers stars defeated a collection 1980s NFL stars 45-40 in a flag football game at Candlestick Park on Saturday night before an estimated 30,000 nostalgic fans. Of course, Joe Montana threw the winning touchdown pass in the closing seconds of the game – to former owner Eddie DeBartolo, who was carried off the field by 49ers legends Ronnie Lott, Steve Young and Dwight Clark.
• Before the demolition crew shows up, of course, Sir Paul McCartney will close the ’Stick on Aug. 14. Let it be.
– Victor Contreras
Of the division leaders at the break, which team will win the World Series?
• Nationals (tied)
• Braves (tied)
Vote above, or go to sacbee.com/sports
What’s your take on the Kings letting Isaiah Thomas go?
• It’s fine; they only won 28 games with him: 62%
• It’s terrible; he was the heart of the team: 38%
Total votes: 189
Breaking news alerts
Sign up for email alerts for breaking sports stories: www.sacbee.com/email