• That deep sigh sweeping through Sacramento? Kings management and fans wincing when DeMarcus Cousins was injured while going for a loose ball in Team USA’s practice Thursday in Chicago. Fortunately, the injury was just a bruise, and he’s only expected to miss a couple days. Even Kings teammate Rudy Gay downplayed it, telling Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports: “I talked to him on the way out. I think he will be OK. I hope he is just being a drama queen. ...”
• Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll took a jab at 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, via Twitter, feeding into the “What’s Your Deal?” chronicles. After Carroll and two other NFC West coaches – but not Harbaugh – embraced NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness for Lou Gehrig’s Disease, Carroll tweeted: “Props to Bruce Arians and Jeff Fisher for doing the #IceBucketChallenge! The NFC West is almost all in ...”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
• Don’t forget what else a downtown arena can offer Sacramento, in addition to a palace for the Kings: the return of the NCAA Tournament, held four times last decade at the former Arco Arena.
• The Giants had a nice tribute for Robin Williams, the great comedian who enjoyed attending games at AT&T Park. No one could bear-hug mascot Lou Seal or whip a crowd into a pregame frenzy like Williams.
– Joe Davidson
What to watch
Baseball, A’s at Atlanta, 4:35 p.m., CSNCA: The first-place A’s will try to bounce back from three losses in four games in Kansas City.
As an NBA owner, would you allow your stars to compete for Team USA?
• Yes, it’s the patriotic thing to do.
• No, the injury risks are too great.
To vote, go to sacbee.com/sports
Which Giants player has been the biggest disappointment ?
• Brandon Belt: 9%
• Matt Cain: 37%
• Brandon Crawford: 9%
• Hunter Pence: 1%
• Buster Posey: 13%
• Sergio Romo: 22%
• Other: 9%
Total votes: 205
Breaking news alerts
Sign up for email alerts for breaking sports stories: www.sacbee.com/email