Jed York hears the losses comin’,
They’re rolling ’round the bend,
Niners ain’t had a winning season since Candlestick went dim.
They’re stuck with Colin Kaepernick, and losses keep pilin’ on,
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
And those fans keep rolling out of Levi’s Stadium.
When Jed was just a baby, Uncle Eddie told him, “Son,
Always be a winner, don’t ever run and gun.”
But Jed hired Jim Tomsula, just to watch his team die
When fans hear that whistle blowing, they hang their head and cry.
I bet Jim Harbaugh’s laughing, in a brand-new fancy car,
He’s winning back in Michigan and smoking Big-10 cigars.
Well, we know Jed had it coming, when he set Harbaugh free,
But Niners keep a losin’,
And now they’re 1 and 3...
▪ So about that debate over whose talents made the 49ers a championship contender from 2011 to 2013, Jim Harbaugh’s coaching ability or Trent Baalke’s moves to assemble a championship team.
The answer is obvious now: Harbaugh.
He turned Alex Smith, who heard 49ers Faithful calling for his head under coaches Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan, into an NFC championship quarterback.
And he got the best out of Colin Kaepernick, taking advantage of his talents as a read-option quarterback and hiding his weaknesses as a drop-back passer.
▪ With 12 games remaining, do you see another game the 49ers might win if they don’t show signs of improvement?
They are the worst team in the NFC West and likely will lose all remaining five games against the Rams, Cardinals and Seahawks.
That leaves the Giants, Ravens, Falcons, Bears, Browns, Bengals and Lions. Of those teams, back-to-back road games in Chicago on Dec. 6 and Cleveland on Dec. 13 seem the most winnable.
Still, even beating the Bears and Browns seems doubtful.
Victor Contreras (916) 326-5527, firstname.lastname@example.org, @sacbeevictor
- What to watch: Baseball, Cubs at Pirates, 5:08 p.m., TBS: Good luck to Pittsburgh hitting against possible Cy Young winner Jake Arrieta (12-0 with 0.41 ERA since Aug. 4).
- Twitter chatter: “It’s not, can you BEAT Jake Arrieta ..... it’s can you even SCORE on Jake Arrieta.” – Buster Olney, @Buster_ESPN
- On this date: Oct. 7, 2012, the 49ers amassed a franchise-record 621 yards in a 45-3 blowout victory over the Buffalo Bills. The 49ers became the first NFL team with 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing.