▪ If the New England Patriots used deflated footballs in the AFC Championship Game, how much of an advantage did it give them?
▪ Patriots coach Bill Belichick said he “had no knowledge whatsoever of this situation,” but doesn’t he control all aspects of the team?
▪ Even if the NFL determines Belichick and/or quarterback Tom Brady knowingly used deflated footballs, would the league have the guts to suspend one or both for the Super Bowl?
▪ All the attention has been on the Patriots and their footballs, but shouldn’t we be talking about what the Seattle Seahawks plan to do to contain Brady and Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount?
▪ The 49ers’ Jim Tomsula has experienced one game as a head coach, so will he feel the heat with former head coaches Eric Mangini and Tony Sparano on his staff?
▪ Coach Tyrone Corbin told The Bee’s Jason Jones he wants to make the Kings an elite defensive team; wasn’t that what fired coach Michael Malone preached?
▪ If Kings center DeMarcus Cousins isn’t picked as an NBA All-Star reserve, would you wonder what more he needs to do?
▪ With the addition of third baseman Casey McGehee and left fielder Nori Aoki, isn’t it likely the Giants will have to work even harder to scratch out runs?
▪ Oakland and Alameda County are working on a plan that would allow the Raiders and A’s to submit competing stadium proposals for one new venue to be built at the current O.co Coliseum site; so is there any chance two stadiums could be built?
▪ If Sacramento State plays Duke in an opening round of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament as projected by ESPN’s “bracketology,” what would be the point spread?
– Tom Couzens
What to watch
College basketball, Arizona State at Stanford,
9 p.m., ESPNU: The Cardinal has won six of eight and is 4-2 in the Pacific-12.
In his words
Peter King of Sports Illustrated: “There is little doubt the New England footballs were tampered with by a human.”
On this date
1982: Ray Wersching kicks a Super Bowl record-tying four field goals to help the 49ers beat the Bengals 26-21 for the first of their five Super Bowl wins.