Sacramento Theatre Company has announced its 2016-17 season, which producing artistic director Michael Laun has titled “Trials, Travels, and Triumphs.”
The season opens with Harper Lee’s “To Kill A Mockingbird” with Sam Misner starring as Atticus Finch and Megan Smith as grown-up Scout, who narrates the drama. In addition to being professional actors, Misner and Smith are an acclaimed Americana duo who were featured in STC’s production of “The Grapes of Wrath.” Buddy Butler, who previously directed “Master Harold ... and the Boys” and “The Whipping Man” at STC, will direct.
Neil Simon’s “I Ought to Be in Pictures” follows, with Bill Zarriello directing.
The British panto-style production of “Cinderella” returns as the holiday production with Michael RJ Campbell also back as Mrs. Baden Rotten.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The popular musical comedy (the second longest-running off-Broadway musical) “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change” follows in the theater’s small stage.
Shakespeare returns in the spring with “The Tempest.”
Tennessee Williams elegiac memory play “The Glass Menagerie” comes to the intimate Pollock Stage with STC favorite Janis Stevens starring as the overprotective mother, Amanda.
The season closes with a world premiere musical production, “The Donner Party.” The musical is written by Eric Rockwell and Margaret Rose, who wrote “A Little Princess,” which premiered at STC in 2013. The musical drama features STC fixture Jerry Lee in the role of George Donner. Laun and Margaret Rose will co-direct the production.
About the new musical, Laun wrote: “STC’s commitment to producing one new work (world premiere) each season, written and created by artists who have an association with Sacramento, makes STC unique. We also insure that our programming supports our mission: To be the leader in integrating professional theatre with theatre arts education.”
Sacramento Theatre Company 2016-17 Season
- “To Kill A Mockingbird” (Main Stage, Sept. 28-Oct. 30)
- “I Ought to Be in Pictures” (Pollock Stage, Nov. 2-Dec. 11)
- “Cinderella” (Main Stage, Nov. 30-Jan. 1) (non-subscription offering)
- “ I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change” (Pollock Stage, Jan. 4-Feb. 12)
- “The Tempest” (Main Stage, Feb. 22-March 19).
- “The Glass Menagerie” (Pollock Stage, March 22-April 30, 2017)
- “The Donner Party” (Main Stage, April 9-May 14, 2017)
STC’s Cabaret Series
- “Something’s Coming – A Tribute to Leonard Bernstein” (Nov. 10-13)
- “I’m the Greatest Star – Showbiz Divas and Dames” (Jan. 19-22)
- “Til There Was You – Broadway’s Best Love Songs” (March 30 – April 2)
Information: Subscriptions for the 2016-17 season go on sale in July. Single tickets go on sale in September. A six-show subscription costs $132-$186. www.sactheatre.org. 916-443-6722