Business & Real Estate

Mega sports complex expected to generate more tourism for Roseville and South Placer

A mega sports complex planned for west Roseville is expected to deliver a jolt to Placer County’s tourism industry.

The city of Roseville is partnering with the nonprofit Placer Valley Tourism to build a collection of eight to 12 synthetic turf fields on 55 acres off Hayden Parkway. The $35 million project would be funded through bonds issued by Placer Valley Tourism and a $5 million grant from the city.

The complex would be operated by Placer Valley Tourism, which until now has functioned as a marketing arm for the 23 hotels in Roseville, Rocklin and Lincoln. Local hotels would fund much of the cost of the new sports complex through a room fee they adopted in 2014.

“It will absolutely be a regional draw,” said Dominick Casey, Roseville’s director of parks, recreation and libraries.

Nearly 60,000 people stay overnight in the South Placer area annually for tournaments and other youth sports, logging 27,000 room stays, according to Placer Valley Tourism. That number is likely to double when the sports complex opens in early 2018, said David Attaway, the organization’s chief executive officer.

“This is not a new venture into sports tourism. This is just an expansion of a marketplace,” he said.

Attaway said Roseville is an ideal location for the sporting facility because of its safe environment, restaurants, shopping and proximity to Sacramento International Airport.

A feasibility study shows the complex would generate $8 to $12 million dollars in economic benefits for South Placer. Attaway estimates 500,000 people would use the complex every year.

Currently, recreation groups rely on Roseville’s city parks to play sports as varied as soccer, lacrosse, rugby and cricket, with the brunt of the action concentrated at Maidu Regional Park and Mahany Park. Casey said the new complex would help ease congestion of neighborhood parks.

“It’s hard to place 1,000 kids on a small neighborhood park,” he said.

With Roseville’s $5 million investment, the city would gain a 25 percent allocation for usage of the new complex. The other 75 percent would be dedicated to serving outside sports groups.

Placer Valley Tourism will pay for the bonds with an assessment fee from local hotels of $4.25 a night that will rise to $6.50 a night in 2017.

The city owns the 55 acres slated for the development. Placer Valley Tourism would own all improvements to the lot for 30 years, at which point the city would have an option to take ownership of the facility.

As for whether the sports complex will be profitable, Attaway said, “We’re hoping the venture will be break even on an operational basis.”

Call The Bee’s Richard Chang at (916) 321-1018. Follow him on Twitter @RichardYChang.

  Comments