Business & Real Estate

Sacramento eyes SF’s rules for to-go drinks in a bid to improve nightlife

This fall, beer in hand, patrons at some of Sacramento’s finest public houses might legally wander out the front door and onto the city’s streets and plazas, moving freely between outdoor festivals and indoor hospitality.

The city council is weighing a policy piloted in San Francisco that would allow bars and restaurants to sell open containers of alcohol for patrons, who may enjoy their beverages outdoors during designated events in designated locations. The policy’s backers view it as a means of spurring economic activity, and a step forward in a broader effort to boost Sacramento’s nightlife.

For businesses, the idea has some clear appeal: Some San Francisco establishments reported dramatic spikes in sales and foot traffic during early trials. Proponents argue that the creation of such designations, so-called “entertainment zones,” would remove unnecessary barriers for bars and restaurants. Local business owners said they at times feel boxed out of festivals, when they might have throngs of people outside their doors who don’t come inside. And, they say, the idea could charm customers, whose appetite for outdoor events became obvious in the COVID-era popularization of al-fresco dining.

“I think the pandemic recovery opened some eyes. We were able to do things that previously weren’t allowed. Some of that was outdoor dining at restaurants, and that became such a great thing,” said Mike Testa, president and CEO of Visit Sacramento. “I do see this as somewhat pandemic-related, in that I think some of the rules that have been in place for a long time are seen as a little archaic.”

Customers, from left, Miguel, Anastasia with her dog Benny, Talhia and McKale enjoy the outdoor deck in front of the Golden Bear in midtown on Saturday. Under a proposal that the Sacramento City Council will consider, they could soon be able take their drinks out to the street during certain designated events.
Customers, from left, Miguel, Anastasia with her dog Benny, Talhia and McKale enjoy the outdoor deck in front of the Golden Bear in midtown on Saturday. Under a proposal that the Sacramento City Council will consider, they could soon be able take their drinks out to the street during certain designated events. NATHANIEL LEVINE nlevine@sacbee.com
Golden Bear bartender Clifford Jaynes pours a cocktail on Saturday in midtown. The owners of the business support a proposal the Sacramento City Council will consider that would allow bars and restaurants to sell open containers of alcohol for patrons to take out onto streets during designated events.
Golden Bear bartender Clifford Jaynes pours a cocktail on Saturday in midtown. The owners of the business support a proposal the Sacramento City Council will consider that would allow bars and restaurants to sell open containers of alcohol for patrons to take out onto streets during designated events. NATHANIEL LEVINE nlevine@sacbee.com

Still, officials offered public assurances that the events would be carefully planned, and walked back if needed.

“We’re not trying to become a Mardi Gras city,” said Tina Lee-Vogt, Sacramento’s nighttime economy manager. The city would likely start with just two or three entertainment zones, and require police-approved security plans for each event, and plans for checking IDs.

“We’re not trying to have open containers all the time. It’s really limited to special events,” Lee-Vogt said. “There are a lot of checks and balances involved.”

Lee-Vogt said she expects the issue will be heard at the city council by late May or early June. If approved, the first events could take place in early fall.

Downtown recovery

At 90 years old, Harrington’s Bar and Grill is the youngest establishment on a block of old-school watering holes in San Francisco’s Financial District.

Owner Ben Bleiman acquired the business about a year ago on the belief that the area would be a perfect candidate for an entertainment zone. It is near mass transit, he explained, and has few sensitive neighbors like schools and churches. Plus, he said, the area could use a boost.

“It’s a struggling downtown location,” said Bleiman, who is also the founder of the California Nightlife Association.

Before lawmakers passed legislation allowing cities to establish entertainment zones in California, it was legal to serve alcohol at street fairs, said state Sen. Scott Wiener. But it had to come from food trucks with one-day permits. Some of those vendors were local businesses, he said, and some weren’t. It became a source of frustration for bars and restaurants.

Wiener passed two senate bills that paved the way for the creation of entertainment zones, first in San Francisco, and then statewide.

The first “entertainment zone” event was an Oktoberfest celebration on Bleiman’s block on Front Street. It was followed by block parties on Halloween, and during the city’s annual lights displays in December, and then by a St. Patrick’s Day event.

Bleiman said sales at Harrington’s on St. Patrick’s Day were 40 to 50 times those of a typical Monday. The city said the three establishments on the block reported sales increases of 700% to 1,500% during the events, compared to typical days, and more than 21,000 people attended.

Those events, Bleiman said, “are literally the difference between this business going bankrupt or this business making some money.”

“We have to give people in the city a reason to go downtown, and to think of it not just as a place where people work, but also a place that has art and culture,” he said. “Entertainment zones have been an incredible tool for achieving that.”

Cities from Los Angeles to San Jose to Fresno have expressed interest in the idea, said Ben Van Houten, director of nightlife initiatives for San Francisco’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development.

And Sacramentans are eyeing the possibility, too.

“It’s a big dream for a lot of operators,” said Kimio Bazett, co-owner of the Golden Bear at 24th and K streets.

The Golden Bear stands between Der Biergarten and Pizzasaurus Rex on a busy stretch K Street in midtown early in the evening on Saturday. The area could be a prime candidate an “entertainment zone” under a new policy under consideration by Sacramento officials that would allow bars and restaurants to sell open containers of alcohol for patrons to take out onto streets for designated events.
The Golden Bear stands between Der Biergarten and Pizzasaurus Rex on a busy stretch K Street in midtown early in the evening on Saturday. The area could be a prime candidate an “entertainment zone” under a new policy under consideration by Sacramento officials that would allow bars and restaurants to sell open containers of alcohol for patrons to take out onto streets for designated events. NATHANIEL LEVINE nlevine@sacbee.com
Josh Milholm, co-owner of the Golden Bear in midtown, writes out cocktail specials on Saturday. His business supports a proposal the Sacramento City Council will consider that would allow bars and restaurants to sell open containers of alcohol for patrons to take out onto streets during designated events.
Josh Milholm, co-owner of the Golden Bear in midtown, writes out cocktail specials on Saturday. His business supports a proposal the Sacramento City Council will consider that would allow bars and restaurants to sell open containers of alcohol for patrons to take out onto streets during designated events. NATHANIEL LEVINE nlevine@sacbee.com

Sacramento’s Midtown Association sees the vicinity around his bar — and the area around 20th and K Streets — as likely candidates for entertainment zones, said Executive Director Emily Baime Michaels.

Bazett believes the ordinance would help expose event attendees to small businesses, and create new regulars at midtown bars and restaurants. There have been times where his business felt blocked off from customers at events outside.

“It’s not like they’re doing anything intentionally,” Bazett said. “But the public, if there’s not a line of sight, if there’s not really clear direction, the sidewalks are closed off and re-routed… It’s, in a way, difficult for them to access their favorite businesses.”

Starting slow

Proponents of entertainment zones acknowledged that the proposal is likely to receive pushback. They emphasized that, if approved by the council, they intend to move carefully and start with two or three entertainment zones before expanding.

Customers enjoy the outdoor deck in front of the Golden Bear in midtown on Saturday, April 12, 2025. Under a proposal that the Sacramento City Council will consider, they could soon be able take their drinks out to the street during certain designated events.
Customers enjoy the outdoor deck in front of the Golden Bear in midtown on Saturday, April 12, 2025. Under a proposal that the Sacramento City Council will consider, they could soon be able take their drinks out to the street during certain designated events. NATHANIEL LEVINE nlevine@sacbee.com

“I don’t think that the intent is to go from zero to 60,” said Baime Michaels, the Midtown Association director.

After a couple of test runs, she said she wants to hear feedback from residents and commuters, determine whether to continue, and if so, whether changes should be made.

Some argued that businesses have clear incentives to act carefully, and keep events under control.

“Many of them have deep roots in these neighborhoods, and they want their businesses to be successful for the long term. And that requires working with the neighborhood,” said Van Houten, the San Francisco nightlife director. “They want to make sure that entertainment zones are safe, and successful, and responsibly managed. Because the day after the entertainment zone event, they’re still there, in business, in the neighborhood. And hopefully they’ll be there for years to come.”

Bleiman, the San Francisco business owner, said the law includes plenty of precautions, and requires businesses to submit detailed plans. He, for instance, staffs 12 extra security workers during entertainment zone events. He said he bristles when critics make comparisons to New Orleans’ Bourbon Street.

“By the way, there’s nothing wrong with Bourbon Street, and a lot of cities could afford to have a Bourbon Street or two,” Bleiman said. “But for my entertainment zone, I wasn’t going for a Bourbon Street vibe. I want to be able to have outdoor concerts, occasionally. And be able to afford them.”

Annika Merrilees
The Sacramento Bee
Annika Merrilees is a business reporter for The Sacramento Bee. She previously spent five years covering business and healthcare for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW