A national movie theater chain has proposed a 14-screen cineplex for the outlet mall under development in Elk Grove, representing the first tenant in the long-delayed shopping center.
Regal Entertainment Group, parent of the Regal Cinemas chain, has submitted plans to build an $11 million cineplex at the mall, known as The Outlet Collection at Elk Grove, said city spokeswoman Kristyn Nelson.
The documents don’t say when the cineplex would open. The mall’s developer, Howard Hughes Corp., has consistently refused to say when it plans to begin construction on the mall, and declined Thursday to confirm that Regal is planning a cineplex for the site.
“We are making good progress on the development and leasing front,” the Hughes company said in a prepared statement. Officials with Regal couldn’t be reached for comment.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Hughes has always said it planned a multi-screen movie theater at the mall.
The mall site, off Highway 99, was going to become a traditional regional mall called the Elk Grove Promenade. But prior owner General Growth Properties halted construction when the economy soured in 2008 and filed for bankruptcy protection a few months later. The Hughes company, which had been a subsidiary of General Growth, inherited the Elk Grove site after it became a separate company in 2010.
Hughes first floated the idea of converting the Promenade into an outlet mall with city officials in 2013 and announced its plans a little more than a year ago.