Sacramento courts planning full closure to slow spread of coronavirus outbreak
Sacramento Superior Court is planning to fully shut down its court operations as soon as Wednesday in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19, court officials said Tuesday.
“We’re working toward full closure,” Superior Court spokeswoman Kim Pedersen said before a meeting of courts officials to discuss plans. “It could be as early as (Wednesday).”
Sacramento County officials say 40 people have tested positive for the virus, seven more than Sunday. Two have died, a woman in her 90s at an Elk Grove assisted living facility last week, and a substitute teacher in her 70s who died Sunday.
County and state officials have called for restaurants to close their dining service, for gyms to close and those 65 years and older to stay at home.
Sacramento court officials late Monday ordered the Tuesday closure of the suburban Carol Miller Justice Center, along with civil self-help centers at the Gordon Schaber Courthouse and Hall of Justice in downtown Sacramento; along with delays of all non-essential criminal matters for four to six weeks.