Scope out waterfowl
The Cosumnes River Preserve is offering Ducks in Scopes, in which preserve docents have set up a row of scopes for viewing ducks, geese and shorebirds such as black-necked stilts and common snipe. The preserve is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 13501 Franklin Blvd., Galt. The viewing area is in the first parking lot on the right as you drive into the preserve. Go to www.cosumnes.org for more information.
Transgender Week begins
The annual Transgender Week of Awareness begins Saturday with a night of film, community and musical performances at the Colonial Theatre, 3522 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento. The event, free and open to all ages, is planned from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. The program is a highlight of a week of events through Nov. 19 in Sacramento. Go to http://colonialtheatre.biz/calendar.html for more information.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sacramento Bee
Model trains galore
Model train enthusiasts can enjoy two events this weekend:
▪ There is a Model Train Open House from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Sacramento Model Railroad Historical Society, 1990 Grand Ave., Sacramento. Trains running through Northern California scenes reminiscent of the 1950s in HO and HOn3 scales are a highlight. Go to www.smrhs.com for more information.
▪ The International Railfair takes place this weekend at the Placer County Fairgrounds, 800 All American City Blvd., Roseville. The event features American and European operating layouts, demonstrations, vendors and more. Event times are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Go to www.internationalrailfair.com for more information.
Things to do
▪ The Powerhouse Science Center presents The Physics of Sports this weekend at 3615 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento. Visitors can learn about the role physics plays in different sports, including how to make a ball go farther, how to spin faster and how to swing harder. Sacramento Republic FC goalkeeper Evan Newton is scheduled to visit from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Saturday. The center is open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Go to http://powerhousesc.org for more information.
▪ The Yolo County Master Gardeners and city of Woodland Environmental Services will host a Backyard and Worm Composting Workshop from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at Woodland Community College, 2300 E. Gibson Road. Participants can learn how to turn yard trimmings and garden scraps into a valuable soil amendment. Go to http://ucanr.edu/sites/YCMG/ for more information.
▪ The Sacramento State football team hosts Portland State at 6 p.m. at Hornet Stadium, 6000 J St.